Friday, March 30, 2012

Report Designer: REPORT(!) templates?

Hi,
I found STYLE templates for the appearance of tables and matrices, but I
want to retain my header and margins and grid spacing and possibly some
common Datasets and references to assemblies when creating a new report with
REPORT Designer.
I want to create a new Report against an OLAP Cube with the report designer.
So I can get all the necessary datasets for cascading parameters. But then
all my above mentioned settings are lost.
Any ideas?
Many thanks in advance,
RalphYou can make a general report, with a page header and footer and datasets
for parameters you will use in many reports. Create it's own project so you
don't mess it up. Then you save it in either
For SQL Server 2000
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\ Report
Designer\ProjectItems\ReportProject
or
For SQL Server 2005
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ProjectItems\ReportProject
Give it an easily recognizable name, like <clientname>_template.rdl.
Then create a new project for the different reports. Create a Shared Data
Source named the same as in you template. RIght click on the Reports folder,
choose Add new item and choose your newly created template from the list of
templates.
You can also save your Shared Data Sources, and just add them to new
projects later.
Kaisa
"Ralph Watermann" <We.Want@.NoSpam.de> wrote in message
news:e$pQ$wd8FHA.1276@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I found STYLE templates for the appearance of tables and matrices, but I
> want to retain my header and margins and grid spacing and possibly some
> common Datasets and references to assemblies when creating a new report
> with REPORT Designer.
> I want to create a new Report against an OLAP Cube with the report
> designer. So I can get all the necessary datasets for cascading
> parameters. But then all my above mentioned settings are lost.
> Any ideas?
> Many thanks in advance,
> Ralph
>|||Many thanks for yor answer, but my problem with RS 2005 is a bit more
complex:
I want to use the Report Designer to get those complex MDX-Statements for
the main dataset and the cascading parameters (sometimes ~ 15 datasets) so I
can't add the report-template in the way you suggested, or do I miss
something?
The best solution I found so far is to put at least the header and
report-layout and so on into the mini-template of the Report-Designer. But
if i put my datasets there to, then I end up with two <Datasets /> in XML
what lead of course to an error. Same thing with common parameters. So there
is LOTS OF "intelligent" copy and paste to do with a lot of possible
mistakes... Really no fun...
So to summarize: I just have to decide wether I want to retain parameters
and datasets or get MDX/cascading parameters the easy way?... Really
tedius work..!'
"Kaisa M. Lindahl" <kaisaml@.hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:updxECF9FHA.1248@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> You can make a general report, with a page header and footer and datasets
> for parameters you will use in many reports. Create it's own project so
> you don't mess it up. Then you save it in either
> For SQL Server 2000
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\ Report
> Designer\ProjectItems\ReportProject
> or
> For SQL Server 2005
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ProjectItems\ReportProject
> Give it an easily recognizable name, like <clientname>_template.rdl.
> Then create a new project for the different reports. Create a Shared Data
> Source named the same as in you template. RIght click on the Reports
> folder, choose Add new item and choose your newly created template from
> the list of templates.
> You can also save your Shared Data Sources, and just add them to new
> projects later.
> Kaisa
> "Ralph Watermann" <We.Want@.NoSpam.de> wrote in message
> news:e$pQ$wd8FHA.1276@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>> I found STYLE templates for the appearance of tables and matrices, but I
>> want to retain my header and margins and grid spacing and possibly some
>> common Datasets and references to assemblies when creating a new report
>> with REPORT Designer.
>> I want to create a new Report against an OLAP Cube with the report
>> designer. So I can get all the necessary datasets for cascading
>> parameters. But then all my above mentioned settings are lost.
>> Any ideas?
>> Many thanks in advance,
>> Ralph
>>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment