Wednesday, March 28, 2012

report designer

Hi there. Please understand, I am very new to reporting services. I
upgraded from VS 2003 to VS 2005 last week, and now I am struggling to even
get to the projects/reports I had already created. The layout, the start
page -- everything is pretty different, old or new, I can't even open Report
Designer or view report layout. All I've got is my solution explorer, my
.rds and .rdl's open in xml version and I've got my data sources on the far
left. In the previous version I was able to go up top to the menu items and
pull down/select the Report dialogue box. First, can anybody let me know how
to open report designer and/or Report Layout? Also, does anybody have some
good references other than BOL that I could use for reporting services? I've
gotten one report deployed successfully, but that was because it had a single
resultset. ALL of my other reports have mulitple result sets, I am currently
running via stored procedure and distributing results via email. As you
know, tsql is not a reporting tool at all, and I need to migrate to something
a bit more robust, as in Reporting Services. But, I'm struggling quite a
bit. Any links or references?
-- LynnI found the report layout -- what's this '.rdlc' extension ? Also, '.xsd' ?
In v2003 I just remember the Data Set and Layout options, I don't recall
these extensions. But, as I said, I'm very new to RS, so I may have missed
them.
-- Lynn
"Lynn" wrote:
> Hi there. Please understand, I am very new to reporting services. I
> upgraded from VS 2003 to VS 2005 last week, and now I am struggling to even
> get to the projects/reports I had already created. The layout, the start
> page -- everything is pretty different, old or new, I can't even open Report
> Designer or view report layout. All I've got is my solution explorer, my
> .rds and .rdl's open in xml version and I've got my data sources on the far
> left. In the previous version I was able to go up top to the menu items and
> pull down/select the Report dialogue box. First, can anybody let me know how
> to open report designer and/or Report Layout? Also, does anybody have some
> good references other than BOL that I could use for reporting services? I've
> gotten one report deployed successfully, but that was because it had a single
> resultset. ALL of my other reports have mulitple result sets, I am currently
> running via stored procedure and distributing results via email. As you
> know, tsql is not a reporting tool at all, and I need to migrate to something
> a bit more robust, as in Reporting Services. But, I'm struggling quite a
> bit. Any links or references?
> -- Lynn|||If you don't install the designer all you get for report design are tools
that work standalone (a new report format allows using reports with no
server). What you need to do is to install the Designer from the SQL Server
2005 media. This will integrate with VS 2005.
Indeed, unless you are doing custom assemblies you did not need to upgrade
to VS 2005. RS 2005 comes with a version of VS to host the development
environment.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Lynn" <Lynn@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:841B2C0B-E566-42A1-944F-94D9EF1C99EF@.microsoft.com...
>I found the report layout -- what's this '.rdlc' extension ? Also, '.xsd'
>?
> In v2003 I just remember the Data Set and Layout options, I don't recall
> these extensions. But, as I said, I'm very new to RS, so I may have
> missed
> them.
> -- Lynn
>
> "Lynn" wrote:
>> Hi there. Please understand, I am very new to reporting services. I
>> upgraded from VS 2003 to VS 2005 last week, and now I am struggling to
>> even
>> get to the projects/reports I had already created. The layout, the start
>> page -- everything is pretty different, old or new, I can't even open
>> Report
>> Designer or view report layout. All I've got is my solution explorer, my
>> .rds and .rdl's open in xml version and I've got my data sources on the
>> far
>> left. In the previous version I was able to go up top to the menu items
>> and
>> pull down/select the Report dialogue box. First, can anybody let me know
>> how
>> to open report designer and/or Report Layout? Also, does anybody have
>> some
>> good references other than BOL that I could use for reporting services?
>> I've
>> gotten one report deployed successfully, but that was because it had a
>> single
>> resultset. ALL of my other reports have mulitple result sets, I am
>> currently
>> running via stored procedure and distributing results via email. As you
>> know, tsql is not a reporting tool at all, and I need to migrate to
>> something
>> a bit more robust, as in Reporting Services. But, I'm struggling quite a
>> bit. Any links or references?
>> -- Lynn|||I'm running sql v2000, I upgraded vs to v2005, as i was having rather
unexplained problems. i had been working with a RS person who is quite
versed, but he, too, was unable to resolve the problems I was having with all
the multiple resultset reports. He suggested I upgrade, I did, and now I'm
having a pretty difficult time getting my hands back around this.
Can I get the Designer w/out going to sql v2005?
-- Lynn
"Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> If you don't install the designer all you get for report design are tools
> that work standalone (a new report format allows using reports with no
> server). What you need to do is to install the Designer from the SQL Server
> 2005 media. This will integrate with VS 2005.
> Indeed, unless you are doing custom assemblies you did not need to upgrade
> to VS 2005. RS 2005 comes with a version of VS to host the development
> environment.
>
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> "Lynn" <Lynn@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:841B2C0B-E566-42A1-944F-94D9EF1C99EF@.microsoft.com...
> >I found the report layout -- what's this '.rdlc' extension ? Also, '.xsd'
> >?
> > In v2003 I just remember the Data Set and Layout options, I don't recall
> > these extensions. But, as I said, I'm very new to RS, so I may have
> > missed
> > them.
> > -- Lynn
> >
> >
> > "Lynn" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi there. Please understand, I am very new to reporting services. I
> >> upgraded from VS 2003 to VS 2005 last week, and now I am struggling to
> >> even
> >> get to the projects/reports I had already created. The layout, the start
> >> page -- everything is pretty different, old or new, I can't even open
> >> Report
> >> Designer or view report layout. All I've got is my solution explorer, my
> >> .rds and .rdl's open in xml version and I've got my data sources on the
> >> far
> >> left. In the previous version I was able to go up top to the menu items
> >> and
> >> pull down/select the Report dialogue box. First, can anybody let me know
> >> how
> >> to open report designer and/or Report Layout? Also, does anybody have
> >> some
> >> good references other than BOL that I could use for reporting services?
> >> I've
> >> gotten one report deployed successfully, but that was because it had a
> >> single
> >> resultset. ALL of my other reports have mulitple result sets, I am
> >> currently
> >> running via stored procedure and distributing results via email. As you
> >> know, tsql is not a reporting tool at all, and I need to migrate to
> >> something
> >> a bit more robust, as in Reporting Services. But, I'm struggling quite a
> >> bit. Any links or references?
> >> -- Lynn
>
>|||RS 2000 designer will not work with VS 2005. VS 2005 is based on the 2.0
framework. RS 2000 is a 1.1 app. Plus all the other integration issues with
the IDE. You can have VS 2003 and VS 2005 side by side. You need to
reinstall VS 2003 and most likely reinstall the RS 2000 report designer.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Lynn" <Lynn@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2230700F-0B0E-4BDF-981B-17CF8EFFF57C@.microsoft.com...
> I'm running sql v2000, I upgraded vs to v2005, as i was having rather
> unexplained problems. i had been working with a RS person who is quite
> versed, but he, too, was unable to resolve the problems I was having with
> all
> the multiple resultset reports. He suggested I upgrade, I did, and now
> I'm
> having a pretty difficult time getting my hands back around this.
> Can I get the Designer w/out going to sql v2005?
> -- Lynn
>
> "Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
>> If you don't install the designer all you get for report design are tools
>> that work standalone (a new report format allows using reports with no
>> server). What you need to do is to install the Designer from the SQL
>> Server
>> 2005 media. This will integrate with VS 2005.
>> Indeed, unless you are doing custom assemblies you did not need to
>> upgrade
>> to VS 2005. RS 2005 comes with a version of VS to host the development
>> environment.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce Loehle-Conger
>> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
>> "Lynn" <Lynn@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:841B2C0B-E566-42A1-944F-94D9EF1C99EF@.microsoft.com...
>> >I found the report layout -- what's this '.rdlc' extension ? Also,
>> >'.xsd'
>> >?
>> > In v2003 I just remember the Data Set and Layout options, I don't
>> > recall
>> > these extensions. But, as I said, I'm very new to RS, so I may have
>> > missed
>> > them.
>> > -- Lynn
>> >
>> >
>> > "Lynn" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi there. Please understand, I am very new to reporting services. I
>> >> upgraded from VS 2003 to VS 2005 last week, and now I am struggling to
>> >> even
>> >> get to the projects/reports I had already created. The layout, the
>> >> start
>> >> page -- everything is pretty different, old or new, I can't even open
>> >> Report
>> >> Designer or view report layout. All I've got is my solution explorer,
>> >> my
>> >> .rds and .rdl's open in xml version and I've got my data sources on
>> >> the
>> >> far
>> >> left. In the previous version I was able to go up top to the menu
>> >> items
>> >> and
>> >> pull down/select the Report dialogue box. First, can anybody let me
>> >> know
>> >> how
>> >> to open report designer and/or Report Layout? Also, does anybody have
>> >> some
>> >> good references other than BOL that I could use for reporting
>> >> services?
>> >> I've
>> >> gotten one report deployed successfully, but that was because it had a
>> >> single
>> >> resultset. ALL of my other reports have mulitple result sets, I am
>> >> currently
>> >> running via stored procedure and distributing results via email. As
>> >> you
>> >> know, tsql is not a reporting tool at all, and I need to migrate to
>> >> something
>> >> a bit more robust, as in Reporting Services. But, I'm struggling
>> >> quite a
>> >> bit. Any links or references?
>> >> -- Lynn
>>|||I didn't expect that the solution would require side by side instances of the
software, two different versions.
-- Lynn
"Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> RS 2000 designer will not work with VS 2005. VS 2005 is based on the 2.0
> framework. RS 2000 is a 1.1 app. Plus all the other integration issues with
> the IDE. You can have VS 2003 and VS 2005 side by side. You need to
> reinstall VS 2003 and most likely reinstall the RS 2000 report designer.
>
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> "Lynn" <Lynn@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2230700F-0B0E-4BDF-981B-17CF8EFFF57C@.microsoft.com...
> > I'm running sql v2000, I upgraded vs to v2005, as i was having rather
> > unexplained problems. i had been working with a RS person who is quite
> > versed, but he, too, was unable to resolve the problems I was having with
> > all
> > the multiple resultset reports. He suggested I upgrade, I did, and now
> > I'm
> > having a pretty difficult time getting my hands back around this.
> >
> > Can I get the Designer w/out going to sql v2005?
> > -- Lynn
> >
> >
> > "Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> If you don't install the designer all you get for report design are tools
> >> that work standalone (a new report format allows using reports with no
> >> server). What you need to do is to install the Designer from the SQL
> >> Server
> >> 2005 media. This will integrate with VS 2005.
> >>
> >> Indeed, unless you are doing custom assemblies you did not need to
> >> upgrade
> >> to VS 2005. RS 2005 comes with a version of VS to host the development
> >> environment.
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> >> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> >>
> >> "Lynn" <Lynn@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:841B2C0B-E566-42A1-944F-94D9EF1C99EF@.microsoft.com...
> >> >I found the report layout -- what's this '.rdlc' extension ? Also,
> >> >'.xsd'
> >> >?
> >> > In v2003 I just remember the Data Set and Layout options, I don't
> >> > recall
> >> > these extensions. But, as I said, I'm very new to RS, so I may have
> >> > missed
> >> > them.
> >> > -- Lynn
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > "Lynn" wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> Hi there. Please understand, I am very new to reporting services. I
> >> >> upgraded from VS 2003 to VS 2005 last week, and now I am struggling to
> >> >> even
> >> >> get to the projects/reports I had already created. The layout, the
> >> >> start
> >> >> page -- everything is pretty different, old or new, I can't even open
> >> >> Report
> >> >> Designer or view report layout. All I've got is my solution explorer,
> >> >> my
> >> >> .rds and .rdl's open in xml version and I've got my data sources on
> >> >> the
> >> >> far
> >> >> left. In the previous version I was able to go up top to the menu
> >> >> items
> >> >> and
> >> >> pull down/select the Report dialogue box. First, can anybody let me
> >> >> know
> >> >> how
> >> >> to open report designer and/or Report Layout? Also, does anybody have
> >> >> some
> >> >> good references other than BOL that I could use for reporting
> >> >> services?
> >> >> I've
> >> >> gotten one report deployed successfully, but that was because it had a
> >> >> single
> >> >> resultset. ALL of my other reports have mulitple result sets, I am
> >> >> currently
> >> >> running via stored procedure and distributing results via email. As
> >> >> you
> >> >> know, tsql is not a reporting tool at all, and I need to migrate to
> >> >> something
> >> >> a bit more robust, as in Reporting Services. But, I'm struggling
> >> >> quite a
> >> >> bit. Any links or references?
> >> >> -- Lynn
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment